Landmarks in Tagana-an
The Municipal Hall of Tagana-an at Barangay Sampaguita: A neo-classical design fronting the Catholic Parish Church across the Luneta. This locational pattern for these edifices followed the Spanish edict of King Phillip II on colonial architecture for public sites. For Spanish administration, the center of colonial government should be surrounded by houses of the local leaders to render a line of protection from hostile forces. The spatial layout is actually similar to the indigenous datù who originally occupied such places.
Luneta Park is a standard public square in the country between the Parish and the Municipal Hall. King Phillip II required this layout by Royal Decree for Pueblos. Our ethnic communities however, had the same concept of a central open space across the house of the Datu. At the other end was the community’s burial site. Spain built their places of worship in such manner to utilize the ethnic culture of respect for the site. The Spaniards retained the surrounding lots belonging to the ethnic leaders of the settlement as a functional line or block of security.
Tagana-an Sports Complex
Tagana-an Sports Complex – General public gatherings, sports particularly basketball, cultural events, are held here. There is also a tennis court in the vicinity.
Parish Rectory – The Municipality of Tagana-an lies at the northern periphery of the royal territory of Abukay – today’s Placer – peopled by the Mandaya-Kalagan circa 1200’s. Panhutongan River then was the economic center of northeast Mindanao at the time. Gold and and selling of slaves to Indonesia were the leading Chinese trade came about in the 1450s. On 1622, following the Spanish conquest on 1565, the religious Order of Augustinian Recollects (OAR) established the early government at Abukay (Placer today). After the Rebellion of the 13 royalties of the Kalagan in 1622-1631, Spain privileged people of Bohol to repopulate East Mindanao. By 1797, Tagana-an was a visita of Pueblo de Surigao The Society of Jesus (SJ) took turn in 1876, followed by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart in the early 1900’s.
St. Agustin Chapel
St. Agustin Chapel is a private spiritual devotion dedicated to St. Agustin at Himama-ug. It is open to public.